PRA is the world’s most complete surface coatings advisor and the essential connector to the global surface coatings community throughout the supply chain.
We provide independent knowledge based services that have positioned us as a catalyst for innovation and growth since 1926.
- Establishment of the “Research Association of British Paint, Colour and Varnish Manufacturers”. Dr L A Jordan appointed as Director
- First Technical Report – on tung oil
- First commissioned research contract – on lithopone
- Construction of electron microscope
- First in-house Symposium
- First training course
- Second Director: Dr Leslie Valentine
- Extension of membership to overseas firms
- Extension of membership to paint users
- Third Director: Dr G Anderson
- Conductive paint invention
- Change of name to "Paint Research Association"
- Opening of PRA Council to overseas Members
- World Surface Coatings Abstracts (WSCA) goes on-line
- Fourth Managing Director: John Bernie
- First overseas conference (Brussels)
- First EU contract (Self-Stratifying Coatings)
- Launch of business journal Coatings COMET
- First PRA Research Symposium
- PRA on Internet
- Purchase of Atomic Force Microscope
- Fifth Managing Director: Chris Storey
- 75 years of service to the coatings industry
- Sixth Managing Director: John Marshall
- PRA relocated from Teddington to the Coatings Technology Centre in Hampton
- Seventh Managing Director: Jonathan Bourne
- Merger with Pera International
- PRA becomes a Pera Technology company
- PRA relocated to Pera Business Park, Melton Mowbray
PRA is based at Melton Mowbray, in the heart if the UK. It is home to our unique library dedicated entirely to surface coatings information services, as well as our independent laboratory. We operate internationally with a network of partners and associates, which was recently strengthened significantly by our merger with Pera Technology.
We are Globally Recognised Coatings Experts and our mission is to be the essential connector for the global surface coatings community throughout the supply chain by providing independent knowledge based services in support of innovation and growth of our members
Since our foundation the aims have been:
- To promote research, scientific and technological work in connection with paint, colour and allied industries, maintaining appropriate laboratories
- To acquire, edit and publish literature on the activities of these industries, maintain a library and establish data and information relating to them; further to disseminate information through presentations and advice
- To retain or employ professional advisors in connection with the above
- To encourage invention and innovation in this field
- To obtain grants from public bodies to promote these objectives
- To co-operate with other organisations pursuing scientific or industrial research
- To encourage and improve the education of people engaged in (or likely to be) these industries
PRA is Pera Technology company.
PRA Membership brings many benefits. Membership of PRA is open to all surface coatings related businesses including paint, ink, adhesive and sealant manufacturers, chemical raw material suppliers, other research associations, instrument equipment manufacturers, end users of coatings and consultants.
PRA provides a unique combination of market and technical expertise to support innovation and growth of chemicals and coatings companies, as well as users. We do this by helping our clients to achieve:
- More efficient business processes
- Greater access to global markets
- Better differentiated products and services
- More effective skills development
Whether your company could benefit from our Research Support, Coatings Advice, Market Insight or Technical Services, every individual can benefit from the Events and Coatings Training that support professional development & recognition, as well as bring people together to share ideas and meet key business contacts.