Powder Coating Technology
- History, development, types of coating powder & their basic chemistry
- Typical end-uses/markets for powders
- Raw materials, limitations of processing equipment, production techniques often imposed by application & substrate
- Formulation techniques-aiming for robustness, and performance requirements determined by end user expectation
- Thin film powders
- The process & quality control-particle size distribution
- Master batching & processing problems
- Safety, health & environmental issues (SHE)-SPACE
- Future developments in processing
- Understanding coating selection
- Problems possibly arising from formulation & manufacture
- End-user expectation
- Handling components, jigging & masking
- The pre-treatment of ferrous & non-ferrous metals, wood & MDF, glass plastics
- Simple adhesion theory
- Mechanical cleaning
- Chemical cleaning & conversion coatings
- Primer coats for improved performance
- History & development of powder coating techniques
- Advantages & disadvantages of powder coating from a coater's perspective
- Choosing an application system: fluidised bed dipping, flock techniques, electrostatic spray & fluidised bed systems
Fluidised Bed Coating
- What is fluidised bed application?
- Pre heating & the relationship of time & temperature
- Manual & automatic application
- Post curing & cooling or quenching
- What is an electrostatic application, charging systems
- Application systems, guns, powder feed, booths, powder recovery & recycling
Practical Industrial Application
- Setting up application equipment, transfer efficiency & coating thickness
- Using different powders
- Right first time quality
- Coating rectification
- Good housekeeping & working safely
- The importance of melt/cure & oven profiling
- Convection ovens
- Radiation ovens, infrared, ultra violet
Testing of Powder Coatings
- Colour, gloss, adhesion, melt/cure, hardness & abrasion
- Weathering & corrosion resistance
- Coating powder defects
- Powder coating defects
- Process problems
- Health, safety & the environment -
risk, dust & other hazards
This intensive two day course seeks to provide a clear understanding of all aspects of powder coating technology and their cost benefits compared with other technologies. The course includes an insight into the formulation and manufacture of both thermoplastic and thermosetting coating powders. Particular emphasis is given to coating selection (based on the anticipated requirements of the end user), quality assessment during manufacture and application and performance testing of the cured film.
Health, safety and environmental issues are covered for both the manufacturing and application processes.
The course will provide in-depth discussion of the application coating powders, from simple fluidised bed dipping to fully automated electrostatic systems. It will include a practical session, during which there will be an opportunity for delegates to apply coating powders.
This intensive two day course seeks to provide a clear understanding of all aspects of powder coating technology. The course includes an insight into the formulation and manufacture of coating powders, both thermoplastic and thermosetting. Particular emphasis is given to coating selection (based on the anticipated requirements of the end user), outdoor exposure, corrosion resistance and costs benefits associated with powder coating. Application techniques are discussed in-depth from simple fluidised bed dipping to fully automated electrostatic systems.
Health, safety and environmental isssues are covered for both the manufacturing and application processes.
The course includes a half-day practical session at a nearby powder coating installation, where there will be opportunities to apply coating powders, understand application parameters,and test coatings in production conditions.
Who Should Attend
This course will be particularly useful to those responsible for the introduction and use of coating powders and for those, who on a day-to-day basis, wish to apply them efficiently and effectively.
It is helpful if delegates have some knowledge of surface coatings and the principles associated with their application and use.
Mr Malcolm Griffiths - Consultant Ad-Qual Castech Ltd (Advisory & Training Services for the Finishing Industry)
PRA, Melton Mowbray, UK
Dates and Prices
The next date for “Powder Coating Technology” has not been scheduled yet. Please use our Contact Form if you would like us to notify you when the next date has been set.
The course runs from 09:30 to approximately 17:00 on the first day and 09.15-16.00 on the second day.
For further details contact the Training Team